Membership in the MVA is automatic and exclusive to any business located in the Village. Associate Memberships are now available for businesses located adjacent to the Village.
There are many benefits of being a member. The MVA:
- nurtures an inviting and healthy business climate.
- provides private security patrol in the business district six days and seven nights a week,
- plants and nurtures seasonal flowers in curbside containers, maintains shade trees along the shopping walkways, oversees general upkeep and beautification of the common areas,
- fosters a close, working relationship with the City of Oakland to protect and promote the interests of Montclair Village: street cleaning, recycling, garbage disposal, building codes, zoning laws, traffic control and parking,
- publishes the annual Directory of MVA Members which is delivered to local residents,
- maintains three centrally-located Village Guides within the Village, containing a locator map of all Village businesses and their phone numbers,
- sponsors two Pacific Fine Arts Festivals annually,
- sponsors a weekly Farmers’ Market on La Salle Avenue every Sunday,
- sponsors retail promotions like the annual Holiday Stroll in December,
- conducts monthly Board of Directors meetings where merchants and residents can express concerns, seek answers or just observe how the Association operates,
- conducts monthly committee meetings focusing on promotions, beautification, crime & safety to which all merchants are invited to attend.
- manages the City Parking Garage at the top of La Salle Ave. and the City merchant lot next to the Mash Gas station on Mountain Blvd. MVA businesses can park in the Garage for a flat $100/month, a great savings over the hourly or daily rate. Businesses in Village Square can park in the City merchant lot for $80/month although there is a waiting list for the limited availability of spaces. For more information about parking in the Village, click here.
How Association Funds Are Utilized
All businesses in Montclair Village pay a BID assessment to the City of Oakland under our Business Improvement District (BID contract, to help provide services and support that make the Village a better place to work and shop. Some of these services supplement or replace services we would expect to have provided by the City but which, for financial reasons, are unable to be provided.
View the MVA Annual Report 16-17 .